Wednesday, September 24, 2008

September in Alaska

It's my birthday month and it has been another couple of weeks in Alaska. Summer is now gone, but apparently this was the 3rd or 4th worst summer on record. It has rained most days and it is getting colder. But it makes for some pretty rainbows. The high each day is between 45 and 50. There have been fewer clear days for outdoors activities and even sightseeing. I went to Barnes & Noble one rainy night and it was so absolutely packed that I could not find a parking space AT ALL. I had to wait for someone to leave to get a park.

Sidebar – I started reading this new book, Anathem by Neal Stephenson. Basically, the author is writing from the premise that the internet is dumbing us all down because we use far less mental effort to solve problems, etc.. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Anathem/Neal-Stephenson/e/9780061474095/?tabname=custreview

Okay, so the few days when it was not raining or raining less I did get to see more of the area. Chugach Nat'l Forest, Glaciers on Portage Glacier Road and View from Flattop Mountain










I was surprised at the amount of restaurant chains here. Yes McDonald's is everywhere, but Outback, TGI Friday, Chili's. But there are lots of little local places that have lots of character. Harley's is a country kitchen, KOBE Teppayaki, local Japanese steakhouse, and Moose Tooth pizza are just a few. But so far I think my favorite two places may be Glacier Brewery in downtown Anchorage and Beartooth Pub, which shows movies and serves good food.
Random pics -









Oh and I finally moved to my new place and its completely renovated, appliances and all!











View from old balcony vs new balcony :-)










Gotta run...more later...

1 comment:

Coffeeaggie said...

Hey Christina,
I LOVE your blog. Keep enjoying the world. I'm living vicariously through you! What a difference a year makes. ;-)

Naj