Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Birthday Weekend in Alaska


My birthday weekend actually began on Thursday. My wonderful loving parents sent me flowers to my office at the client. Thanks mom and dad! :-)
Friday, was the first day since I have been in Alaska that it was sunny and clear all day.











After work Friday, I went to a debate watching party at Bayshore Clubhouse. You can pretty much get a good view of the mountains anywhere in anchorage but there is a great view from the Clubhouse. There was a pretty good turnout of the debate watching party. They had a good food spread, Obama gear and also solicited for volunteers and announced next week's officicial Obama rally in Anchorage. I got an Obama sweatshirt and pin as well as the CD of the Alaskan Women Reject Palin rally on Sep 13.

After the debate, I had dinner with my colleagues from TSG. There are 4 of us here from other markets. Mark and Jeff have been out here for a while now and Valerie came out here just last week. This was our first outing as a group and we decided to call ourselves Team Alaska (my idea, ha!) We were celebrating Valerie coming to AK, Jeff's bday last Tuesday and my bday on Saturday.

Saturday morning I was up by 6:30 and cooking my wonderful birthday breakfast: French toast, bacon eggs and grits. Then I laid down for a quick morning nap, but by then people had started calling and wishing me happy birthday.
Alaskans for Truth held a rally at noon a couple of blocks from my apartment. They started that their goals were to hold their governer accountable to the residents of Alaska. There were at least 2,500 people there. It is interesting to walk through the crowd, talking to people and hearing their views local politics. It was a peaceful rally and everyone did not have exactly the same stands on several issues but they were all disappointed with the way the governor has been running government over the past couple of years and especially the past month.


Later I went back to Flattop Mountain. Valerie hadn't been yet so she met me there. This time we went up the VERY trail to the top of the mountain. But once you get to the top, you realize it is still NOT the top. The very top was an even STEEPER path and both decided we were cool with the views we had at that level. Hahaha!

Then we went to Eagle River. The trail was closed down to the public because of bears. Bears use that part of the river for fishing this time of year so the trail is officially closed but you can still walk down to the river. It is ill advised to try to mess with bears even if you do have bear spray.
We were trying to find a non-crowded place for dinner and ended up at steakhouse. Unfortunately they messued up my steak 3 times and I got my steak free. Can someone please tell the cooks that medium well does not mean bloody?!
Sunday morning, I attended morning service at ChangePoint church. I came back to the apartment for a steak and shrimp lunch and then a Sunday afternoon nap.
Then I drove out to Hatchers Pass. I stopped at Willow Creek at the bottom of the mountain. It was beautiful day but it was freezing and I had on 6 layers of clothes. I drove up to Hatcher's Pass but the road was closed at the very top so I parked and walked up the road to see the snow on the mountain.


So overall I had a pretty good weekend...nothing really exciting....just a nice relaxing weekend and I grateful to GOD for another year. :-)

No comments: