Friday, October 24, 2008

Hockey and Homer

I'm going on a Glacier cruise tomorrow and realized I had not blogged about last weekend yet, but let me take a step back first....


A couple of weeks ago I finally went back to CA for the weekend and warmer weather, but the week before I left it was snowing and 30 degrees:


When I took off in Alaska it was around 30 degrees with snow on the ground.


Cali was a nice break from the cold - Pond across from my CA apt and a sunny California day.


When I got back to Alaska early Tuesday morning it was snowing STILL! I had to get a car with AWD this time.

Now it is soooo cold, 20 degrees during the day. We're also losing 6 minutes of daylight each day. So it doesn't get fully light until around 9 am and gets dark around 7. They say the key to deal with the "darkness" is to stay busy and always go out during the day. We'll see.
Last week, our client gave us all tickets to the Alaska Aces hockey game last Friday night. I did get to see one fight before leaving early but it looked staged. Guess I gotta go to a San Jose Sharks game to see a real fight, huh? :-)
Saturday morning we started off on our road trip to Homer.
It was a beautiful 4 hour drive (most of the way at least) to Homer. Along the way, we stopped along the Kenai River. The water is a aquamarine color because the river is catching water from the glaciers.
We got there to find that many of the shops were closed so we drove out all the way to the end of Homer spit

Jackpot Halibut Derby - closed for the winter

Me taking pictures at Homer Spit

Beach at Homer Spit, I slipped and fell on my butt on this doggone seawead. Valerie said she looked up and all she saw was my feet in the air one second and me on the ground the next. LOL! No comment.

No comments: