Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sharing My Story

For the past couple of months I’ve shared stories and pictures of the beautiful and fun sites here in Alaska as well as political experiences and ideas here in Anchorage that are particularly interesting given the unique dynamics of this current election. For the last several months, I have taken an introspective look at why I vote, how I have voted previously and how I should vote this time. Now it's time for me to share a portion of my story:

I VOTE BECAUSE this is my country. As a citizen of the United States of America, my right to vote is guaranteed and protected by the 15th, 19th, 24th and 26th Amendments of the Constitution of the United State of America. I have a right and a responsibility. I have
a voice and a choice. I am personally compelled to vote.

MY VOTE THEN in 1996, I voted as a Gen X-er. In 2000, I voted as a Christian. In 2004, I voted as an Independent and did not make my decision until I was literally standing in the voting booth.

MY VOTE NOW is a holistic vote based on who I am as a total person. I am not just an African-American or just a woman or just a Christian or just an entrepreneur. I am all of that and more.

  • I am an entrepreneur who wants an economic policy that best supports my small business.
  • I am a middle class family that embraces a tax plan that effectively and responsibly maximizes my income.
  • I am an educated professional who would love to see an intellectual in the White House for a change. Heck, what is wrong with being smart and being an expert in constitutional law and knowing how to effectively communicate and use words in a sentence that actually belong together?
  • I am a Gen X-er and would love to have a President who can not only inspire but translationally lead this country into greatness in the world and humbleness before God.
  • I am an African-American who wants a President who understands the need to embrace diversity of ethnic background, diversity of religion and most importantly diversity of thought in this country.
  • I am a woman who wants a President who displays respect, support and advocacy for women as smart, intelligent and equal citizens of this country.
  • I am a Christian who really wants to have a Christian in office who is compassionate and understands you are not effectively showing the love of Christ to this generation by throwing a Bible at them and condemning them all to hell.
  • I am an American who wants a President whose top priority is protecting America then restoring America in the eyes of itself and the world, making us the example that the world is compelled to follow.

All of these separate demographics together make up who I am, but most importantly, I am an individual. I am Christina and I chose to vote for Barack Obama. I encourage you to vote now.
To read the full exposition, you can email me at
cgayle126@gmail.com.

I just got off the phone with my mom, as I'm posting this and she said she is on a "voting" date with my dad right now....how sweet! They are in line at a early voting location in NC and my sister was on the way there to vote too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Christina,

This is your cousin in Stockton, California. We met at the family reunion in Roanoke, Virginia in July. Please give me a call as soon as you get this (or email me at: kohcali@gmail.com).

Keith Hilton
(209) 473-4687